SWEET POTATO DISHES
Sweet potato is the healthier replacement of our beloved potatoes and it is loved by most of us. Packed with important vitamins and other nutrients, sweet potato helps us stay fit. They are also a good source of potassium and iron which are two most important minerals for our body. Sweet potatoes are not only delicious but they also come with long list of health benefits. So, head to the nearest grocery store now and grab some sweet potatoes. Here are a few dishes to get you started.
1. Sweet Potato Biscuits
• 1/2 kg of all-purpose flour
• 1/2 teaspoon salt •
I cup butter
• 1 sweet potato
• 4 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 cup buttermilk
• 1/4 -1/2 cup unsalted butter
• 3-4 tablespoon maple syrup
• Cook and mash the sweet potato.
• Now, add buttermilk to mashed sweet potato and blend it well.
• In another bowl add the all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt. Add the butter to this and mix it well.
• Add the two mixtures and mix it well into soft dough.
• Roll out the dough on a smooth surface to about a thickness of 1 inch. Use a biscuit-cutter to cut into your desired shapes.
• Bake it for 15 minutes approximately and your sweet potato biscuits are ready.
For the Maple Butter:
• Mix the maple syrup with the butter to get a smooth mixture.
• Serve with the warm biscuits.
2. Sweet Potato Patties
• 4 sweet potatoes
• 3 eggs
• 1 cup of chopped onion
• 1-2 teaspoons of chilli powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
• 1 teaspoon pepper
• Grate the sweet potatoes and keep it aside.
• In a pan, sauté the cumin seeds until brown.
• Whisk the eggs and add the grated sweet potato, chopped onion, chilli powder, pepper, salt and the cumin seeds.
• Heat oil in a frying pan. Now put spoonful of batter into it and fry until golden brown.
• Serve it with sauce or chutney.
3. Sweet Potato Pancake
• 1 cup wheat flour
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 sweet potato
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 4 teaspoons baking powder
• 2 cups of milk
• 2 eggs
• Maple Syrup
• Cook the sweet potato and peel it. Now, puree it and keep it aside.
• Take a bowl and whisk the eggs. Add wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder and milk.
• Heat a pan and butter it properly. Cook a spoonful of the batter until golden brown on both the sides.
• Serve the hot sweet potato pancakes with maple syrup and enjoy!
4. Sweet Potato Pasta Ingredients:
• 1 cup of whole wheat pasta
•1 sweet potato
• 1 red bell pepper (thinly sliced)
• 1 cup diced tomatoes
• 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 2-3 tablespoons of chopped parsley
• 1/2 cup cheese
• Peel and shred the sweet potato and keep it aside.
• Cook the pasta until tender.
• Take a skillet and add 1 tablespoon of oil along with garlic. Keep stirring until you get the aroma of the garlic. Now, add the sweet potato, tomatoes, bell pepper and water. Cook until the bell pepper is crisp and tender. • Drain the pasta but keep half of the water it was cooked in. Now, put the pasta back into the vessel and add the sweet potato mixture, 1 tablespoon oil, parsley, lemon juice, salt and cheese. Add the retained pasta water and combine the mixture well. Your delicious sweet potato pasta is ready!
5. Sweet Potato Chocolate Pudding
• 1 large roasted sweet potato
• 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
• 2-3 tablespoons maple syrup
• 1/4 cup milk
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• Peel and puree the roasted sweet potato until smooth.
• Combine all the ingredients and blend it well until smooth. It should in a puree form. Your easy-to-make sweet potato chocolate pudding is ready to serve!
6. Sweet Potato Wedges
• 2-3 sweet potatoes
• Peel the sweet potato and cut into wedges.
• Mix the wedges with some oil, pepper and salt. Blend it well.
• Roast the wedges in the oven for around 15 minutes until they turn golden brown.
• Sprinkle some pepper on the top and serve them hot with ketchup.
7. Sweet Potato Soup
• 1 sweet potato (peeled and diced)
• 1 chopped onion
• 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
• 3-4 carrots (peeled and sliced)
• 1 red pepper, sliced
• 1 teaspoon ginger
• 1/4 cup yogurt
• 1 cup chicken broth
• Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped onion and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
• To this add the chicken broth and two cups of water. Stir well.
• Now, add sweet potato, carrots, red pepper and ginger. Cook it well.
• Once it is done, keep this mixture in the fridge for around 25 minutes. • Next, remove the vegetables from the mixture and puree them until thick.
• Put this puree into the soup and blend them well. • Cook until the soup thickens. When it almost finished, add yogurt and mix it well. Serve and enjoy!