Shahi tukra, a royal treat to taste buds at anytime. It is a rich and delicious Hyderabadi dessert recipe. It won’t be inappropriate to call it royal piece of dessert. It is rich in taste, aroma and flavor. Shahi tukra also called Indian bread pudding has its origin form the mughal era. Though mughal dishes demands a lot of time and preparation but this dish is way easy to make.
Desserts often get put In not to eat food list if you are on weight losing mission but sometime or occasional having taste of delicious desserts never harms your body. It is a similar to the famous cousin ‘Double Ka Meetha’ only difference is in way of making them. The Shai tukra is a simple sweet dish made of fried bread soaked in sugar syrup coated or topped with fragrant creamy sweet thickened milk or rabri garnished with dry fruits. This dessert is way easy to make and less time consuming as it takes maximum 1 hour.
• 5 to 6 bread wheat/ brown bread slices or white bread
• 2 spoon or half cup ghee ( one-one spoon for frying each bread)
• one cup cashew nuts-break into small pieces kismis pistachios crushed almonds finely sliced
• saffron 3 to 6 strands soaked in 2 teaspoon of milk ghee 2 tea spoons
• 4 cup or 1 liter full fat milk or condensed milk
• 2 to 3 spoons sugar or as required according to your convenience
• 3 tea spoon milk powder (not mandatory) or half spoon cardamom powder, a pinch of saffron
• 1 tea spoon masala milk powder (optional)
• 1 tea spoon rose water or rose essence
• For garnishing – kesar or a pinch of saffron
For sugar syrup:
• Half cup sugar
• Half cup water
• 4 green cardamoms powder in mortar pestle or half spoon cardamom powder or a drop of rose water
• 14 to 15 almonds
• A few standard of saffron
• 12 to 14 pistachios
you can increase or decrease the quantity of ingredients depending on the quantity of shahi tukra you making.
• First step, take milk in a broad thick pan or in a sauce pan. You can take 1 liter or as much as required, fat milk, depending on quantity you making and bring it to the first boil.
• Rabri can be prepared with condensed milk or you can make a vanilla clustered instead of milk.
• Now add 3 teaspoon milk powder though it is not essential to use it. It may help you in reducing the cooking time of rabri otherwise, you have to simmer the milk for some more time period.
• You can also add masala milk powder. Allow milk to reduce to half its original quantity.
• Stir up and scrap milk continuously so that milk does not get brown or brunt from the bottom as well as from the sides.
• Add back the clotted milk or malai and the dried milk from the sides to the milk.
• Now add sugar and keep on simmering, stirring, removing the clotted cream then add sugar stir well so that the sugar dissolves.
• Next step put crushed saffron or saffron powder along with rose water or rose essence. You can also add sliced almonds and pistachios.
• It will take about half to one hour for the milk to thicken on a low or medium flame.
if you want to make chilled shahi tukra then rabri to be prepared one day before and put to freeze up in the fridge.
Preparing/ Toasting bread slices:
This preparation you can start while boiling milk for rabri.
• Slice the crusts of the bread. Cut them into squares or triangles or any other shape as you like. Now put 1 spoon of ghee in a flat pan or frying pan and heat it for a minute. You can also use oil for frying but for royal and delicious taste ghee is a better choice. If you are calorie conscious then you can use wheat bread rather then white bread and can toast bread slices in a toaster till it becomes golden brown.
• Placed bread sliced on non stick pan, drizzle two tea spoon ghee over it at low medium heat and toast them till beneath got brown after it flip and toast the other side.
• Then flip both the sides’ one after other till it get crispy and golden brown color.
• Drain the toasted bread slices on paper towel and add one spoon of ghee again and toast the remaining slices.
Preparing sugar syrup:
• Keep sugar solution on a low heat.
• When whole mixture starts boiling, it means the one thread consistency will not take much time.
• If one thread consistency reached then it mean sugar syrup is ready add cardamom powder or rose water and stir.
• In case sugar syrup cools and crystallizes before you make toasted bread slices to soak in it then just add about one to two spoon water and reheat the syrup.
Now dip the bread slices deep in the sugar syrup with the help of spoon or coat the bread slices with sugar syrup. When bread slices looks like fully soaked in the syrup and then arranges bread slices in a try. Now neatly pour the rabri on the bread slices and garnished with almonds, pistachios and nuts.
Now you can serve the royal piece of dessert shahi tukra, Sweet and yummy in every bite.
If you want to serve chilled shahi tukra rather then hot fried shahi tura then keep it in fridge and serve chilled shahi kura.